Learn more
Parsons the New School for Design

Parsons 2013 Fashion Benefit

Previous years: 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012

Studying Fashion Merchandising in Italy

Written by Gretchen Harnick | Feb 19, 2013.

What better way to learn about fashion merchandising and design, than from the masters in Italy.  This past summer,  Parsons School of Fashion and Design & Management students enrolled in James Mendolia’s “Fashion Merchandising: Italy” course, and spent two weeks learning through online and onsite lectures, experience and hands-on activities.

Ferragamo Museum

Student Celia Levin

Through organized excursions throughout Florence, Rome and Milan, students learn about Italy’s rich design history and their contributions to global fashion. The course included notable guest lecturers, as well as visits to fashion companies, museums, leather craftsman, and of course, the Ferragamo museum.  They also visited textile mills, where they learned about woven and knitted textiles, as well as the world’s finest printed silks, supplying Italy and the world with the highest quality of printed luxurious fabrics.

Students explore Italy’s history and culture as they search city markets for raw materials, treasures, trends and inspiration. And, the class was able to visit the legendary Pitti Filati, the main international event for knitwear designers and merchandisers in Florence, Italy.

Pitti Filati Exhibition Hall

The course will be taking a whole new section of students this summer, in July 2013, and we look forward to hearing about their adventures and knowledge gained when they return.

Share 'Studying Fashion Merchandising in Italy' on Digg Share 'Studying Fashion Merchandising in Italy' on Facebook Share 'Studying Fashion Merchandising in Italy' on Tumblr Share 'Studying Fashion Merchandising in Italy' on Twitter

Related Posts by .

15 Responses Subscribe to comments

1. laura agudelo nanclares

hi
    i have read about course and i really would like to go to italy and be part of it.
    i am from Colombia and i am studying marketing at EAFIT university (Medellin), i am 18 years old, but i love fashion world.
    i have been searching here a lot for courses of fashion marketing or something related but all i found is for professional people.
    workin with fashion is my bigest dream but i know that i would have to start from learning basic things of fashion.
    it would be great if you can help me to find a good course for me at Parsons.
    And if maybe i could apply for a scholarship it would be nicer. i know that its not easy for people like me (without expirience) but i will try as much as possible to study what i love the most in your school.
    thank you for your promt response
    laura

Feb 21, 2013 @ 4:02 am

2. Hello Laura,
    Thank you for your interest in this course. I have sent your note to the faculty member teaching the course. You can follow up with him, James Mendolia. mendolij@newschool.edu

Best of luck in your search.
    Gretchen Harnick, Editor Parsons 560

Feb 25, 2013 @ 1:32 pm

3. Florencia Guajardo

Hello – I would like to attend the AAS Fashion Marketing and it would be great if you could help me to start the applying process! I have a Bachelor degree in Economics and currenlty working in a fashion brand in Argentina; I want complement both my academic background and professional experience with an academic course! I consider Parsons academic proposal perfect structured and organized and have the best references from former students of this course!
    Hope you can help me!

Sincerely,
    Florencia

Mar 10, 2013 @ 5:57 pm

4. Anoosha Saran

Hi,

I was wondering how long this course is and how much it costs? Is this a part of another degree or will this be a certificate based program?

Thank you,

Anoosha

Mar 20, 2013 @ 4:10 pm

5. Anoosha Saran

Sorry, I just saw that it is 2 weeks long. I was still wondering about the degree and cost though. Thank you for your help!

Mar 20, 2013 @ 4:12 pm

6. Hello Anoosha,
    This class is part of our Fashion Marketing AAS curriculum. The traveling portion is 2 weeks, in a 9 week summer class. Check out our programs of study on the main school website. Best of luck to you!
    Gretchen Harnick, Editor

Apr 02, 2013 @ 6:43 pm

7. Hello Florencia,
    Thank you for your interest in our school and programs. You will want to contact Admissions to inquire about applying for the Fashion Marketing AAS program. Their site is linked below. Thanks for being a reader of Parsons 560 blog.

Gretchen Harnick, Editor

Apr 02, 2013 @ 6:46 pm

8. Erdenesuvd

Hello,
    I am from Mongolia. I am majoring in International Business Management and graduating this spring. My dream from teen has been becoming a fashion designer. But I didn’t chose my major as a fashion designer. Now, I really want to connect my fundamental knowledge of business with my hobby-Fashion and in my opinion, studying in Fashion Marketing field will be helpful for my dream. I am wondering whether this course requires anything related to Fashion and how the tuition fee is.

Thank you.

Apr 09, 2013 @ 5:26 am

9. Hello and thank you for your note about the program. This course, is a summer course which is part of our degreed AAS Fashion Marketing program. It takes between 1 1/2 years to 2 years to complete, and you graduate with a strong level of knowledge on the Fashion Marketing and Merchandising side of the industry.

You should reach out to Admissions with any questions about applying or tuition fees. I am pasting a link below to help you navigate the website. The program is also available 100% online, so if you are interested in staying in Mongolia, and studying it is taught by many of the same faculty and it just as rigorous as on campus.

Best of luck in your search and we hope to see you at Parsons in the future.
    Gretchen Harnick, Editor Parsons 560

Apr 17, 2013 @ 10:15 pm

10. Vipasha Nigam

I’m Vipasha Nigam from India. I have a Post Graduate Diploma in PR & Corporate Communication from Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai (2009-2010). I have been working since 2010 and have a total experience of 3.4 years in Social Media Marketing.
    Owing to my interest in fashion, I’d like to apply for the Merchandising and Marketing course at Parsons. I had some queries regarding the same.
    Which degree can I apply for since I have a PG Diploma already and have no background in Fashion?
    What is the course and fee structure like?
    Are there any scholarships available? If yes, request you to please share details of the same.
    What are the basic requirements to apply for this course?
    And when can I apply?

Jun 01, 2013 @ 8:47 am

11. Helo Vipasha Nigam,
    Thank you for writing and your interest in our program. Did you know the Fashion Marketing AAS degree is taught both here in NYC on campus, and also wholely online? Same program, same faculty.

For the answers to your questions, I suggest you get in touch with our Admissions office. They can individually evaluate your background and credentials and suggest the program which would be right for you and your career goals.
    Admissions for Parsons is:

Best of luck to you.
    Gretchen Harnick,
    Assistant Professor
    Editor, Parsons 560

Jun 03, 2013 @ 8:45 pm

12. Gayaneh

Hi,

Is this two week program available to online students?

Thanks.

Gayaneh

Oct 19, 2013 @ 10:43 pm

13. Hello Gayaneh,
    Yes this is an elective available to online students. In fact we always have online only students enrolled.
    Best,
    Gretchen Harnick

Oct 22, 2013 @ 7:58 pm

14. Payal Saxena

Hi ,

I am Payal from India.I am a software Engineer by profession with 2.7 yrs of work ex in IT and have got no prior experience in Fashion industry, yet I have this dream to be a part of it. I would like to ask, is there any one year course which could help me get started with Fashion Marketing or retailing.
    Thanks.

Payal Saxena

Dec 09, 2013 @ 4:25 am

15. Dear Payal,
    Thank you for your note and interest in Parsons, The School of Fashion. Our Fashion Marketing program is taught 100% online, and can be done in 1 and one half or two years if you take the maximum number of classes. It is a well rounded program, for career changers like yourself. The majority of our students have prior college degrees, and work experience and recognize they want to be in the fashion industry.

Look online for program information and Admissions can assist you to understand application timing and such.
    Best of luck and hope to see you in the program.
    Sincerely,
    Gretchen Harnick
    Assistant Professor, Fashion Marketing
    Editor Parsons 560

Dec 16, 2013 @ 6:38 pm

Reply

6 − = two