Learn more
Parsons the New School for Design

Parsons 2013 Fashion Benefit

Previous years: 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012

Online Fashion Marketing Talks to Grads

Written by Gretchen Harnick | May 11, 2010.

I had the opportunity to speak with two of our online Fashion Marketing students as they prepare for graduation this spring. The online program means you can be flexible with your study habits, work while taking classes, enroll and learn from anywhere in the country or around the world.

Kristina Jones

Kristina Jones, lives in Chicago, IL, and came to Parsons AAS Fashion Marketing to change her career. With an undergraduate degree in Biology, she knew her passion and interest was really in fashion and retailing.  She enjoys the online environment because “online, everyone is forced to participate.  I like the dedication and diligence of the professors and classmates. It was at a much higher level than I expected.“  An internship with a Chicago based handbag designer has given her a variety of experiences, from doing a catalog photo shoot, to writing press releases and helping the designer prepare social media strategies.  Kristina’s advice to new students is “do not cheat yourself thinking because it’s online it will be easy, be dedicated and determined.”

Rachel Demain

Rachel Demain surprised herself by learning so much about technology over the course of her studies. “The program is great for busy people. With the initial challenges of time management, it is up to you to get everything done, it takes dedication”.   Although Rachel lives in New Jersey, close to Manhattan, she enjoyed taking the program online.  Her internships ranged from working Fashion Week with IMG Media, having an Editorial and Styling internship with Brides Magazine and interning in the PR department at Michael Kors.  At this point, she is pursuing a position in e-commerce as a result of learning and enjoying technology so much.   “Online students bond and form friendships online with classmates, it is great for networking. It is a wonderful chance to be one on one with your professors as well.“

As our Parsons graduates never really leave the Parsons family, we expect to keep in touch with Kristina and Rachel throughout their careers. Congratulations to you both and to all of our Spring 2010 graduating class!

Share 'Online Fashion Marketing Talks to Grads' on Digg Share 'Online Fashion Marketing Talks to Grads' on Facebook Share 'Online Fashion Marketing Talks to Grads' on Tumblr Share 'Online Fashion Marketing Talks to Grads' on Twitter

Related Posts by .

8 Responses Subscribe to comments

1. Shelley Adams

Hi There,

I’m a real fan of Project Runway, and as a matter of fact after watching several episodes over a few winter months, I started to get a desire to sew; this developed into a business venture of designing women’s swimwear.

I am interested in taking an online marketing fashion course with Parsons and am interested to know if you could suggest the appropriate course. How much do the courses cost?

Sincerely,

Shelley Adams

1.807.4791 Home

Oct 27, 2011 @ 1:37 am

2. Gretchen

Hello Shelley,
    It is nice to hear from you and it sounds like you are really pursuing your passion in the fashion industry. I suggest taking a look on our Parsons website, – to review some of the existing and even newly launched programs. Depending on your desire, most of the programs take place on our urban NYC campus. However, we offer the AAS Fashion Marketing program entirely online, and our Continuing Education department (SPACE) also offers a variety of fashion related courses online. These are the same instructors we have on campus.

Be sure to review the Admissions pages for program requirements and costs as well.

Good luck and keep in touch!
    Gretchen Harnick

Oct 31, 2011 @ 5:18 pm

3. Mengyun

I am interested in the program buti am a little bit concerned about the quality of education will be different from I take it in person. I am also curious how can I interact with teachers and students online?

Apr 06, 2013 @ 7:59 am

4. Hello Mengyun,
    Thank you for your note. The program online is exactly the same as it is on campus. We have many of the same faculty teaching both courses, and the assignments are either same or adapted to technology and are unique in that respect. Feel free to email me separately if you have any further questions. It’s a great platform to launch your career. harnickg@newschool.edu

All the best,
    Gretchen Harnick

Apr 11, 2013 @ 4:11 pm

5. Alexis Brinson

I am applying for the online fashion marketing program to begin next spring! I am so excited! I am earning my Bachelor’s of Arts degree in Fashion Design Management, but through my years in college I found out that my true love is for fashion marketing. I will be working full time and I also have a daughter that will be 2 in October, both which require a lot of my attention. My question to you is, if I take the fast track program to finish within a year, how is the workload? With everything I already have on my plate, do you think the workload will be managable? Or do you recommend me take 2-3 at a time?

Apr 16, 2013 @ 5:16 pm

6. Hello Alexis,
    I have sent you a personal email to answer your questions. Congratulations on being accepted! We look forward to welcoming you to the program in Spring of 2014.
    Best,
    Gretchen Harnick

Apr 17, 2013 @ 10:15 pm

7. Allison Paine

Hello! I have been looking into various a schools to pursue a career in fashion marketing and Parsons has a great reputation! I live in California and am wondering how the school helps find internships and job leads from another state. I’d love to hear more about the program to find out if it is right for me.

May 19, 2013 @ 12:46 am

8. Hello Allison,
    Thank you for your note. There are many fashion brands who are headquartered, and starting up in California. We have an incredible network of alumni from Parsons who work all around the world, and are very eager to hire graduates from the programs. Once enrolled, you would have access to our Career Services department, and listings of internships, and connections can be made through this avenue. You of course are always encouraged to build your own network in fashion, and I suggest starting now by asking people to coffee, to chat about their career choices. This way, you can learn and understand the path you wish to take in the future.

Best of luck and hope to see you in the Fashion Marketing program, Online.

Gretchen Harnick
    Assistant Professor, Coordinator Fashion Marketing
    Editor, Parsons 560

May 28, 2013 @ 4:55 pm

Reply

− 5 = zero